A workplace is a place that can fall into disarray when there is a lack of trust. Issues such as office gossip, silo mentality, and poor teamwork can crop up. The lack of trust leads to increased anxiety among employees, loss of productivity, and a toxic culture.
Leaders looking to create a positive environment in the workplace are in the right place, as this article covers five ways to build trust.
5 Ways to Build Trust
Professional coach Tina Kalogeropoulos explains that building trust in the workplace requires practical solutions that involve all leadership levels, from the top down. Tina lists five ways to build trust:
- Self-awareness: Most people are unaware of how their actions or inactions can lead to a lack of trust. Our brain in defensive mode is resistant to change and often the change that is required to achieve success begins with us. Being aware of this limitation is vital to building trust in the workplace.
- Communicate clearly: Trust can easily be damaged by miscommunication. When you are unable to communicate an idea you are left with unclear roles and responsibilities and negative emotions to navigate amongst your team.
- Be vulnerable: Being open about your limitations and roadblocks can help you build trust. Encourage collaboration and ask for help as needed. Remain focused on the desired outcome, tools, and resources required to succeed. This will help avoid over or under-sharing while maintaining a balanced level of professionalism.
- Prioritize relationships: Trust is built when individuals are (and feel) valued. It’s about seeing the individual and learning about their motivations and ambitions inside and outside work. Engaging in actions and speech with integrity will help you build trust.
- Work with a coach: Some individuals can’t build trust because they may be held back from past experiences or beliefs they are unaware of. Working with a coach will help uncover thoughts that no longer serve and develop new principles, processes and systems to move forward with an accountable leaders mindset.
Tina Kalogeropoulos is a marketing executive, entrepreneur, and professional coach. She offers professional coaching services to individuals and workplaces. With over 22 years of experience in the corporate world, Tina understands the nuances in the workplace that can lead to distrust. She has worked with hundreds of professionals to help them find clarity about their vision, goals, and what success means to them. She also helps organizations identify, manage and overcome issues that impede organizational success, like the lack of trust in the workplace.
Why This Matters
Building trust in the workplace is vital to be successful so that you can communicate with others effectively and obtain buy-in without hesitation. What is evident is that most people do not know how to build trust. Thankfully, there is a coach who can collaborate with you. Check out how Tina can help you here.